Dogs and Mushrooms Alert

A few years ago, the Pet Health Network reported that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s dog sadly died of mushroom poisoning. On Instagram, he left an important message that resonates today as much as it did then:

“This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying [Brutus’] liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dog’s play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members…” recommends that if your dog eats any type of wild mushroom, you need to seek immediate veterinary care, even if your dog is not showing symptoms. Also, the ASPCA recommends bringing a mushroom sample in a moist paper towel or paper bag instead of putting the mushroom in a plastic bag. and the DogTrekker mobile app list over hundreds of veterinarians and dozens of 24-hour emergency hospitals throughout the state.

There are some steps you can take to lower the chance of your pup getting ahold of a deadly mushroom:

  1. Be sure your dog responds to the “Leave It” command, as it could save your dog’s life.
  2. Check your yard regularly, especially during mushroom season, removing all mushrooms, not just the ones that look similar to the deadly Death Cap or Death Angel mushrooms. According to Bay Area Mycological Society, the Death Cap is the number one cause of fatal mushroom poisonings worldwide.
  3. Keep your dog on leash when visiting parks and other wilderness areas where mushrooms are present. The Death Cap are very attractive to dogs because of their fishy odor and your pup could ingest one quickly if off leash and out of site.